The Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park, straddling the border between South Africa and Botswana, is a semi-desert of pink dunes and star-crammed skies the place African animals run wild and guests get a wilderness ‘repair’ that’s Prozac for the soul.
As soon as Kalahari sand will get into your footwear, legend says, you’ll be drawn again many times.
I’ve visited the park 30 instances and even written a e-book about it. However I misplaced my coronary heart on my very first go to.
For many who have but to go there for the primary time, right here’s some helpful data to assist with planning a Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park safari.
Attending to the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park
Take the R360 for 250km from Upington within the Northern Cape, South Africa, through Askham to Twee Rivieren on the South Africa/Botswana border (complete distance from Johannesburg 960km; from Cape City 1100km). If time is brief and your pockets deep, fly from Johannesburg or Cape City to Upington and rent a automobile there.
Getting across the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park
I like to recommend driving a automobile with excessive clearance (no less than 190mm) or 4×4, particularly when the roads are badly corrugated, or muddy within the wet season (December/January to April). I’ve seen Sedans make it right here within the dry season (Could to November), however who is aware of at what value to their suspension!
A 4×Four is important for the guided and self-drive 4×Four trails on the South African facet, and in every single place on the Botswana/jap facet of the park. Deflate your tyres for a softer experience (and see tip Eight under).
Finest time to go to the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park
Any time is nice, relying on what you take pleasure in. September–November, the tip of the dry season, brings animals to the waterholes and plenty of migrant birds. January/February provides numerous motion, good raptor sightings and a few electrical storms, should you don’t thoughts temperatures of 45–50ºC. If rains have been good, March could present a greener facet to the park and it’s good for birding. Keep away from June/July, should you hate being chilly; night-time temperatures can plummet to zero or -10ºC, though days are sunny.
What to search for throughout a Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park safari
You’ll nearly actually spot black-maned Kalahari lions and perhaps even a leopard, however depart your ‘Massive 5’ notions at residence as there are not any elephant, rhino or buffalo right here. Somewhat, benefit from birds of prey, cheetah, hyena, honey badger, bat-eared fox, meerkat and small creatures like whistling rats and barking geckos.
The place to remain the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park
SAN Parks’ vacationer camps (Twee Rivieren, Nossob, Mata Mata) supply self-catering chalets and tenting, whereas their six higher-priced and extra unique wilderness camps (Gharagab and Bitterpan for 4x4s solely) are unfenced for a close-to-nature really feel.
The non-public Xaus Lodge on land returned to the Mier and Khomani San is a fully-catered luxurious choice.
Kgalagadi Lodge outdoors the park, 5km south of Twee Rivieren, has self-catering chalets, tenting with non-public services,, and little restaurant.
Botswana Division of Wildlife and Nationwide Parks (DWNP) supplies unfenced bush tenting with long-drop loos at Rooiputs and Polentswa, and on a spread of multi-night trails throughout the dunes. You have to have a 4×4, deliver all your individual water and be completely self-sufficient.
On the different finish of the dimensions are the brand new full-board non-public lodges at Rooiputs and Polentswa.
Insider suggestions for visiting the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park
1. Purchase the official data information to the park at Twee Rivieren for background on the park’s animals, vegetation and neighbouring San communities.
2. Take heat gear should you go to in winter; use sunscreen and hold hydrated in summer time.
3. Rain falls primarily between January and April, although we had been as soon as caught in a hail storm in September. The dry season is Could to November/December.
4. The protection of the water is suspect. Deliver consuming water from residence or purchase 5-litre jugs of mineral water outdoors the park the place it’s cheaper.
5. You should purchase gasoline solely at Twee Rivieren, Nossob and Mata Mata.
6. Solely Twee Rivieren, Nossob and Mata Mata have outlets promoting bottled water, primary meals/toiletries and firewood.
7. Funds for no less than one guided early morning stroll (R313 an individual, no children underneath 16) or sundown/evening drive (R181 an individual, children half value) throughout your go to.
8. When you enterprise out on a 4×Four path, take a grass internet to guard your radiator and deflate your tyres to 1.6 bars or much less so that you don’t get caught in thick sand. For security, journey with no less than two autos.
9. It is a transfrontier park, however if you wish to depart the park someplace apart from the place you enter, you shouldfull immigration formalities at Twee Rivieren/Two Rivers, and keep a minimal of two nights within the park.
10. Kgalagadi isn’t a high-risk malaria space, however use repellents and canopy up at daybreak/nightfall in summer time.